Monday, 18 January 2016
The main items on the intermediate repair list are:
1. Renewal of the tender tyres.
2. Renewal of the cracked LH Driving hornblock casting.
3. Renewal of the worn slide valves
4. Inspection and renewal of slack fitted bolts connecting the motion plate to the loco frames
5. Inspection of the loco and tender dragboxes.
The most involved of the above jobs is the renewal of the LH Driving hornblock casting. This will require lifting the loco of of her wheels so that we can access the hornblock. It is a long time since any new hornblocks were cast for a Caledonian Railway locomotive so it will be an interesting job to get a new one cast and fitted. Fortunately there are still companies in the UK who can manufacture components of this type. The material will be cast steel.