Another satisfying week with CR 828 - we completed several small jobs and then on Thursday 1st September raised steam once more to do some test running. The purpose of the testing was to ensure that the lubrication to the cylinders and steam chest is functioning. It also let us check out the operation of the brake ejector and the steam brake at a higher pressure than the previous operational tests the week before. As expected we found a few minor issues, e.g. the small ejector valve appears to be stuck on its seat; the RH valve rod gland is blowing badly; the brakes are probably adjusted a bit too tightly but in general everything seems to be doing what it should..
Our main concern now is the delivery of the tender tyre forgings to Ian Riley - the most recent date he gave us is Monday 5th September - let's hope this happens and we get the wheels back as quickly as possible. The weather in October can still be quite pleasant for operating a pre-grouping tender loco...
|The four eccentric rods are bolted to the eccentric straps via the palm plate studs and nuts. The nuts are secured by split cotters. In this picture we can see that several of the cotters remain to be fitted..|
|Amy-Jane Budge inspecting the injector non-return valve seat after we removed the injector top fitting to get at the non-return valve.|
|Raising steam once again on September 1st. Old Faithful, the JCB doing its coal bunker act once again..|
|While waiting for steam Amy-Jane took the opportunity to wash down the boiler and prove that the Caledonian blue paint is still there..|
|Starting to look quite good again....!!|
|Back in the Shed and looking very smart indeed...|
|Gleaming under the Shed lights. Eagle-eyed viewers will have spotted that the boiler pressure gauge is showing 75 psi...!|